AIARE Companion Rescue Course
This AIARE course is a one-day course that should be retaken on a regular basis to keep up withbest practices for rescue techniques and gear. New participants will learn the basics of companion rescue, while returning participants will expand their skills with advanced topics and realistic scenario practice. This course is a prerequisite for the AIARE 2 and Pro 1 courses. AIARE recommends that all backcountry travelers keep their skills current by taking this course and renewing their rescue card at least every other year. At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe what to do if they or another person is caught in an avalanche
- Identify and use avalanche rescue gear
- Set up a realistic scenario to practice avalanche rescue responses
- Improve their response skills and times
- Develop a plan for continued practice Participants must be able to travel in winter conditions on uneven terrain while carrying a 20 lb. pack. Previous skiing or snowboarding experience highly recommended (this course can also be completed on snowshoes if needed). Transportation not provided.
- Registration opens: Aug 1 at 12 a.m.
- Registartion closes: Dec. 1 at 12 p.m.
- Fee: $95
Saturday, December 2 at 8:00am to 5:00pm
Rocky Mountain National Park