Managers Academy: The Highly Effective Manager
The 'Highly Effective Manager' (HEM) course provides foundational knowledge and skills to managing others. The content focuses on best practices in supervising staff and begins with helping participants gain a better understanding of their own management style.
- Understand the role of a supervisor
- Identify strategies to engage employees
- Identify and explore their own management styles with regards to motivation, delegation and development through the use of the DiSC Management behavioral assessment
- Recognize the importance of a manager’s role in communicating with employees and leadership on campus
- Discover supervision practices that promote inclusion and an appreciation for diversity
- Identify strategies for navigating workplace conflict
- Develop skills to foster team work and problem solving
The Highly Effective Manager course is offered four time annually. The course meets once per week from 8am to noon for four consecutive weeks.
Employee Management and Compliance Essentials is a critical prerequisite course for supervisors who wish to participate in the Highly Effective Manager (HEM). HEM builds on the foundational knowledge developed in the course.
Who Should Attend
- New supervisors who will be directly or indirectly supervising Classified or University Staff
- Employees recently or soon-to-be promoted to a supervisory role over
- Supervisors and managers seeking a refresher course to elevate their existing skills and understanding of managing individuals and teams
The instructors for this course are senior training specialists in Organization and Employee Development in the Department of Human Resources.
This is a 4 day program. Each day is 8:30 to 12:00 PM. Participants are expected to participate in all 4 days.
Tuesday, July 9 at 8:30am to 12:30pm
Wednesday, October 16 at 1:00am to 5:00pm
Administrative and Research Center, 346
3100 Marine Street, Boulder, CO 80309