Virtual Just in Time Career Fair
What is it:
15 minute virtual sessions set with employers who had registered for the 2020 Just In Time Fair
Stressed about finding a job after graduation? Or an internship for the summer? Then don’t miss our first VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR of the year! We’re bringing employers to a virtual space for networking. Due to unexpected circumstances related to COVID-19, this virtual fair will be in place of our annual Just In Time Career Fair. It’s open to students and alumni from all majors, experience levels and backgrounds.
If you are participating in a video chat, dress professionally and be prepared with a digital copy of your resume and your best elevator pitch.
CU Boulder students and alumni from all majors, degree levels and backgrounds are welcome to participate in this event.
How to participate:
1. Choose which employers you want to meet with
There are two ways that you can view participating employers:
- Click on the Employer Attendees section in the Virtual Just In Time Fair event in Handshake.
- Go to On-Campus Interviews in Handshake and view the list. Participating employers will have Virtual Chats listed in their title.
2. Apply to their "job" aka chat schedule
- If you are in the Employer Attendees section, click on the employer's logo and scroll down to their jobs on the right side of their profile. Once you find the job entitled "Virtual Just In Time Fair - Chat with EMPLOYER X", click on it and apply.
- If you are in the On-Campus Interviews section, click on the employer schedule you are interested in. Click on the linked job, and apply.
3. Select your time to chat
Once you have applied, you will have access to the employer's chat schedule. This is where you can choose a virtual chat time slot that fits into your schedule. (These are 15-minute time slots.)
- If you did not sign up for a slot right away, you can find it again later - the schedule will appear in your "On-Campus Interviews" tab on Handshake. Go to Jobs Tab at top ->click on On-Campus Interviews ->click on the Virtual Employer Chat you want to sign up for -> sign up for a slot to chat by clicking Take Slot.
Each employer will be reaching out to you with their different specified method of chatting and instructions on how to access different programs. The virtual program being used will be listed in the employer job description as well. Try and test each program before signing on to chat so you are ready when you're scheduled chat arrives. If you don't know which chat program to use, please contact Stacy.Rosseau@colorado.edu.
Login to Handshake to double check your chat slots, pull up chat programs, and get to chatting!
How to prepare for a virtual career fair:
Do your research.
Choose which employers you'd like to speak with and familiarize yourself with their products, services, and recent news.
Dress to impress.
Put your best foot forward by dressing professionally. If you have a video chat it is better to dress more professionally than to be too casual. And even when on a phone interview, dressing up can put you in a better mind space.
Take notes after you’ve spoken with an organization or while chatting and have a copy of your resume handy to reference your experience.
Practice your pitch.
Practice introducing yourself and letting employers know what you’re looking for. Start by stating your name, year in school, major or area of interest and talk about some relevant skills or experiences.
If you received contact information, send them an email. Reintroduce yourself (they meet a lot of students) and thank them for their time.
Questions? Make an appointment:
Our advisors and counselors are happy to schedule an appointment with you via Zoom. Visit colorado.edu/career or Handshake Career Center for more details.
Thursday, April 9